by William Faithorne, after Sir Peter Lely
line engraving, 1662 or after
5 5/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (143 mm x 99 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Sarah Gilly (died 1659), Daughter of Matthew Gilly of Tottenham. Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1662back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Catherine of Braganza to Charles II. A spectacular pageant on the Thames greets Catherine as she arrives at Whitehall Palace.
Act of Uniformity, lays down requirements for the clergy to remain in the Church of England, forcing hundreds to be ejected from their livings.
Art and sciencePhysicist Robert Boyle publishes A Defence of the Doctrine, Touching the Spring and Weight of the Air, which contains the first formulation of Boyle's Law, describing the relationship between pressure and volume of gases.
InternationalUpon restoration of the monarchy, pro-royalist and Catholic Irish landlords, notably James Butler, Duke of Ormonde, appeal to the king to restore their lands confiscated during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland. However, political wrangling and insufficient land renders the subsequent Act of Settlement, passed by the Irish Parliament, unworkable.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints