King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
by William Faithorne
line engraving, published 1672
7 3/4 in. x 5 1/8 in. (197 mm x 129 mm) plate size; 8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (203 mm x 138 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- William Faithorne (circa 1620-1691), Engraver and draughtsman. Artist associated with 720 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1672back to top
Current affairsStop of the Exchequer, initiated principally by politician Thomas Clifford, later lord treasurer, causes financial panic as payment of Crown debts are suspended and redirected to fund the military for the ensuing Anglo-Dutch war.
The declaration of indulgence suspends the penal laws against both Catholics and Nonconformists.
Art and sciencePhysician, Thomas Willis, writes 'De anima brutorum' (The Souls of Brutes), one of the earliest comprehensive publications on neurology and the brain.
Mathematician, Sir Isaac Newton, is made a fellow of the Royal Society. Soon after, he presents to the Society his revolutionary theory of colours.
InternationalWar with Holland. First naval battle at Solebay, during which Admiral Edward Montagu dies, proves inconclusive. However, occupation of Holland by French armies and general success of the English navy, initially overwhelms the Dutch. Amid upheaval, the Dutch rally under their new captain-general, William III, Prince of Orange.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints