Queen Elizabeth I
Queen Elizabeth I
probably by William Faithorne, published by Sir Robert Peake, after Isaac Oliver
line engraving, circa 1640
4 1/8 in. x 2 3/4 in. (104 mm x 70 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- William Faithorne (circa 1620-1691), Engraver and draughtsman. Artist associated with 720 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- Isaac Oliver (circa 1565-1617), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peake (circa 1605-1667), Printseller and royalist army officer. Artist associated with 62 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1640back to top
Current affairsSecond Bishops' War. James Graham, Marquess of Montrose, leading the Scottish armies, occupies northeast of England. Defeat at the Battle of Newburn forces impoverished Charles to sign Treaty of Ripon.
Long Parliament. Habeas Corpus Act is passed, abolishing the Star Chamber. Impeachment of Royalists, Earl of Strafford and Archbishop Laud.
Art and scienceAuthor, James Howell, writes Dodona's Grove, a historical allegory of events since 1603. A renowned royalist, Howell's anti-parliamentary remarks in the book would later attract accusations from parliamentarians.
The last Caroline masque before the outbreak of civil war, Salmacida Spolia by Sir William Davenant, is performed at Whitehall Palace.
InternationalFrederick William becomes Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Prussia. The Elector's policy of religious tolerance benefited his state during the religious struggles dominating the Thirty Years' War.
The Bay Psalm Book is published, the first book to be printed in British North America.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Tudor Miniatures
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2017 Anniversaries