- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Johan Joseph Zoffany
oil on canvas, circa 1761
36 in. x 27 7/8 in. (913 mm x 707 mm)
Artistback to top
- Johan Joseph Zoffany (1733-1810), Painter of portraits and conversation pieces. Artist associated with 46 portraits, Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Probably painted for Stillingfleet's close friend, Robert Marsham, showing him with a volume of Linnaeus in hand.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Eger, Elizabeth; Peltz, Lucy, Brilliant Women: 18th Century Bluestockings, 2008 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 13 March to 15 June 2008), p. 30
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 445
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 590
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Brilliant Women: 18th-Century Bluestockings (13 March 2008 - 15 June 2008)
Events of 1761back to top
Current affairsGeorge, Prince of Wales marries Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz at St James' Palace. He is crowned George III two weeks later.
Buckingham House, on the site of present-day Buckingham Palace, is purchased for the royal family.
Bridgewater canal, engineered by James Brindley, opens as Britain's first canal.
Art and scienceEstablishment of Matthew Boulton's toy factory, the Soho Manufactory, near Birmingham; considered the first modern factory in Britain.
Allan Ramsay becomes Painter to the King.