King Richard III
King Richard III
probably by William Derby, after Unknown artist
pencil, pen and ink, July 1835 (late 15th century)
9 in. x 7 1/4 in. (230 mm x 185 mm)
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1835back to top
Current affairsLord Melbourne, Whig, becomes Prime Minister following Peel's resignation. Melbourne's government took steps to suppress trade union activity, introducing legislation against 'illegal oaths', contributing to the failure of Robert Owen's Grand National Consolidated Trades' Union.
Art and scienceFelix Dujardin, the French biologist, reveals protoplasm.
Work on the enlargement and remodelling of Buckingham House to designs by the architect John Nash is completed, creating Buckingham Palace.
InternationalJuan Manuel de Rosas becomes dictator of Argentina, invoking a seventeen year rule dominated by terror. A powerful cattle rancher, he represents the rise of the estancieros, the new landed oligarchy based on commercial ranching.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 March 2020
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries