'The pope suppressed by King Henry VIII'
7 of 26 portraits of Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex
'The pope suppressed by King Henry VIII'
after Unknown artist
7 3/8 in. x 6 7/8 in. (188 mm x 175 mm) overall
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sittersback to top
- Pope Clement VII (Giulio de' Medici) (1478-1534), Pope 1523-34. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Cranmer (1489-1556), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter in 47 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex (circa 1485-1540), Statesman. Sitter associated with 28 portraits. Identify
- John Fisher (1469-1535), Bishop of Rochester, cardinal and martyr. Sitter associated with 33 portraits. Identify
- King Henry VIII (1491-1547), Reigned 1509-47. Sitter associated with 98 portraits. Identify
- Reginald Pole (1500-1558), Cardinal and Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 28 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
This image depicts Henry VIII triumphantly enthroned above Pope Clement VII, stressing the central role played by the Tudor monarchs in religious reform in England. Henry had been a devout Catholic and was awarded the title ‘Defender of the Faith’ by Pope Leo X in 1521 for his published criticism of Martin Luther. However, his desire for a divorce from Katherine of Aragon led him to question the authority of the pope and triggered England’s break with the church in Rome.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1570back to top
Current affairsPope Pius V issues a Papal 'bull' excommunicating Queen Elizabeth I from the Catholic Church. The bull provokes widespread anti-Catholicism in England.
Elizabeth contemplates marriage with either Charles, Archduke of Austria or Henri, Duke of Anjou.
Art and sciencePublication of The Scholemaster by the royal tutor Roger Ascham, which popularises the educational views of the English nobility.
The mathematician and antiquary John Dee's preface to the first English translation of Euclid's Elements of Geometrie anticipates the experimental science of the seventeenth century.
The Italian architect Andrea Palladio published I Quattro Libri dell'Architettura (The Four Books of Architecture).
InternationalTreaty of St Germain-en-Laye ends the Third War of Religion in France. Huguenots (French Protestants) are granted religious freedom and the Huguenot leader Admiral Gaspard de Coligny becomes a dominant force at court.
The Treaty of Stettin - Denmark agrees to recognise the independence of Sweden and Sweden abandons its claim to Norway.
Ivan IV (the Terrible), Tsar of Russia, oversees the Massacre of Novgorod.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Tudor Miniatures
- Technique and effects of the after-Holbein copyists
- Holbein and his copyists
- Tints, texture and original intent, in four after-Holbein portraits
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor pick up guides
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Loans to the National Gallery
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.