The Meinertzhagen Family
© National Portrait Gallery, London
The Meinertzhagen Family
by Unknown photographer
glossy vintage print on card mount, mid 1890s
7 5/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (194 mm x 240 mm) image size
acquired unknown source, 1959
Artistback to top
- Unknown photographer, Photographer. Artist or producer associated with 6566 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Margaret Booth (née Meinertzhagen) (1880-1959), Wife of George Macaulay Booth; daughter of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Barbara Drake (née Meinertzhagen) (1876-1963), Political activist and writer; daughter of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI and niece of Beatrice Webb. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- (Katherine) Beatrice Mayor (née Meinertzhagen) (1885-1971), Poet, novelist and dramatist; wife of Robert John Grote Mayor; daughter of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Daniel ('Dan') Meinertzhagen (1875-1898), Naturalist and artist; son of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Daniel Meinertzhagen VI (1842-1910), Merchant and merchant banker; eldest son of Daniel Meinertzhagen V. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- George Friedrich ('Fritz') Meinertzhagen (1881-1962), Son of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Georgina Meinertzhagen (née Potter) (1850-1914), Wife of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI; daughter of Richard Potter; elder sister of Beatrice Webb. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Louis Ernest Meinertzhagen (1887-1941), Son of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Richard Meinertzhagen (1878-1967), Naturalist and army officer; son of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Betty Potter (Georgina Elizabeth Neale (née Meinertzhagen)) (1892-1948), Actress; wife of Ralph Neale. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Laurencina Warre Cornish (née Meinertzhagen) (1883-1971), Wife of Hubert Warre Cornish; daughter of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Mary Amelia Wollaston (née Meinertzhagen) (1889-1943), Wife of Alexander Frederick Richmond Wollaston; daughter of Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Hampshire (sitters' home, Mottisfont Abbey, near Romsey, Hampshire)
Events of 1893back to top
Current affairsKeir Hardie is among the group who formalise the Independent Labour Party, and is elected chairman and party leader at the opening conference. Gladstone continues with his campaign for home rule in Ireland, introducing the Second Home Rule Bill, which is passed by the Commons but vetoed by the Lords.
Art and scienceArt Nouveau becomes a fully established movement in European art and design, after emerging in different countries and across different disciplines at the start of the decade. Key figures include the illustrator Aubrey Beardsley, architects Victor Horta and Paul Hankar, and the designer Alphonse Mucha. Art Nouveau is characterised by the 'whiplash' line, a decorative line which represents graphically the desire to break free from traditional aesthetic constraints.
InternationalGandhi's ejection from a South African train carriage on account of his race is the catalyst for his non-violent activism in leading the struggle for Indian independence from British rule.
New Zealand becomes the first self-governing country to grant women the vote.
The Chicago World's Fair is visited by more than 200 million people, with Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse introducing electrical power to illuminate the fair.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.