by Bob Collins
modern bromide print from original 35mm negative, 1972
Given by Rudolph John Acton, 2003
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 49 portraits, Artist associated with 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bob Collins (1924-2002), Photographer. Artist of 220 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Posed here at his studio 17 Powis Terrace, London, in front of a lost portrait of George Lawson and Wayne Sleep.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (17 Powis Terrace, London)
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Until 28 June
- David Hockney Portraits
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Private View
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Chinese Connections