7 of 19 portraits by Elisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun
by Henry Bone, probably after Elisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, July 1803
9 3/8 in. x 12 in. (239 mm x 306 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
Sitterback to top
- Emma (née Lyon), Lady Hamilton (Baptised 1765-1815), Mistress of Lord Nelson. Sitter in 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.