Sir Samuel Romilly
Sir Samuel Romilly
by Henry Bone, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, 1819 (circa 1806-1810)
6 3/8 in. x 4 5/8 in. (162 mm x 116 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
Sitterback to top
- Sir Samuel Romilly (1757-1818), Solicitor-General and law reformer. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1819back to top
Current affairsPeterloo Massacre leaves eleven dead and four hundred wounded as crowds, gathered to hear radical Henry Hunt call for reform of the House of Commons, are forcibly dispersed.
Six Acts are passed, stiffening the 1795 Treason Act and introducing a tax on the periodical press which was viewed as seditious.
Art and sciencePercy Bysshe Shelley writes Ode to the West Wind during a year of extraordinary creativity in which he also finishes Prometheus Unbound.
Lord Byron publishes his tour-de-force Don Juan; one man's mock-epic odyssey through a world without fixed principles.
First ship with a steam engine crosses the Atlantic in twenty-eight days.
InternationalThomas Jefferson establishes the University of Virginia.
Royal Navy anti-slave squadron is set up to patrol the West African coastline.
French physician Rene Laennac invents the stethoscope.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.