Viscount Malvern and family
2 of 23 portraits of Godfrey Martin Huggins, 1st Viscount Malvern of Rhodesia and Bexley
Viscount Malvern and family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 3 May 1935
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Godfrey Martin Huggins, 1st Viscount Malvern of Rhodesia and Bexley (1883-1971), Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia. Sitter in 23 portraits. Identify
- Blanche Elizabeth Huggins (née Slatter), Viscountess Malvern of Rhodesia and Bexley, Wife of 1st Viscount Malvern of Rhodesia and Bexley. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- John Godfrey Huggins, 2nd Viscount Malvern of Rhodesia and Bexley (1922-1978), Son of 1st Viscount Malvern of Rhodesia. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42739 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1935back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin starts his third term as Prime Minister after Ramsay Macdonald resigns due to ill health. Coincidentally, Baldwin's first term in office also came about when the Prime Minister of the time, Bonar Law, stepped down due to illness in 1923.
Art and scienceRobert Watson-Watt demonstrates Radar, showing how an aircraft can be tracked by detecting radio waves reflected off it. During the war, Watson-Watt established a network of machines and operators that helped detect the approach of enemy aircraft in the Battle of Britain.
Penguin publishes its first paperback books, making reading more portable and affordable to a wider audience.
InternationalItaly invades Abyssinia. The invasion of the country now known as Ethiopia was part of Mussolini's plan to create an Italian Empire. It was also an attempt to avenge Abyssinia's victory over the Italian army at Adowa in 1896.
Germany introduces conscription, breaking the disarmament clause of the Treaty of Versailles.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.