William Holman Hunt
1 of 6 portraits by Maclure, Macdonald & Co
William Holman Hunt
by Maclure, Macdonald & Co, after Elliott & Fry
photogravure, late 1860s?
8 3/8 in. x 6 in. (214 mm x 153 mm) image size
acquired unknown source, 1961
Sitterback to top
- William Holman Hunt (1827-1910), Pre-Raphaelite painter. Sitter in 29 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1867back to top
Current affairsThe Second Reform Act, although effectively a Liberal measure, is expediently passed by the Conservatives, under Disraeli's influence, who believed it would widen Conservative appeal by making the party appear more progressive. The Act extended the vote to 1.5 million working men in British towns, and redistributed 52 seats from towns with populations under 10,000 to the newer urban towns.
Art and scienceKarl Marx publishes his hugely influential Das Kapital, whilst living and researching in London. Its proclaimed aim was 'to lay bare the economic law of motion of modern society', and it presented mid-Victorian capitalism in terms of a tragic drama.
Henry Irving rises to fame on the London stage, performing alongside Ellen Terry for the first time, beginning their famous theatrical association.
InternationalFrancis Joseph, the Emperor of Austria, becomes King of Hungary, and thus ruler of the 'dual monarchy' of Austria-Hungary.
The dominion of Canada is formed, as the British North America Act unites four British colonies, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec. The Act defines much of Canada's constitution and operation of government, and Canada's dominion status is the first of its kind.
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints