King Henry V
13 of 32 portraits of King Henry V
King Henry V
after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1650-1700
3 in. x 3 1/4 in. (77 mm x 84 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Events of 1650back to top
Current affairsExiled Charles, Prince of Wales, holds negotiations in the Netherlands, with the Scottish Parliament to secure an alliance. Despite misgivings on both sides, and pressure from the Scots for Charles to sign the covenants, the treaty of Breda is agreed.
Oliver Cromwell defeats the Scots at the Battle of Dunbar.
Art and sciencePoet and politician, Andrew Marvell, composes his greatest political poem, Horatian Ode upon Cromwell's Return from Ireland. Marvell become Oliver Cromwell's unofficial poet laureate during the Protectorate.
InternationalWilliam, The Prince of Orange, grandson of Charles I, is born assuming the title from the moment of birth. Forty years later, he would become William III of England.
General-at-Sea, Robert Blake is dispatched to Portugal to prevent attacks on Commonwealth merchant shipping from royalist, Prince Rupert, based in Lisbon.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints