King Henry VII
66 of 66 portraits of King Henry VII
King Henry VII
after Unknown artist
line engraving, late 18th century
6 5/8 in. x 3 1/4 in. (167 mm x 82 mm) plate size; 8 in. x 5 1/4 in. (202 mm x 134 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
Events of 1770back to top
Current affairsAugustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton resigns as Prime Minister and is succeeded by Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford.
Art and scienceOliver Goldsmith publishes his poem The Deserted Village.
Philosopher and politician Edmund Burke publishes Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents discussing the limits of the King's authority.
17-year-old Thomas Chatterton, later hailed as a significant poet, commits suicide in a London garret.
Thomas Gainsborough paints his portrait of Jonathan Buttall, which later becomes known as The Blue Boy.
International'Townshend duties' on imports into the colonies are repealed, except for the duty on tea. However, this concession is soon followed by the Boston Massacre, in which British troops fire into an unruly crowd in Boston, killing five.
Captain Cook reaches the eastern coast of Australia, at a place which he names Botany Bay. He discovers the Great Barrier Reef when HMS Endeavour runs onto it. Cook claims New South Wales for the British.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- My Favourite Portrait by David Cobley
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
27 June, 12:30