King Henry VII
King Henry VII
possibly by William Faithorne
line engraving, probably 17th century
3 5/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (93 mm x 63 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
Artistback to top
- William Faithorne (circa 1620-1691), Engraver and draughtsman. Artist associated with 720 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1600back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex is put on trial for failing to put an end to the rebellion in Ireland, attempting to negotiate a truce with the rebel leader Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and deserting his post.
Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, replaces Essex as Lord Deputy of Ireland.
The East India Company receives its Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I.
Birth of Prince Charles in Scotland (later King Charles I).
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Hamlet.
The scientist William Gilbert writes De magnete ('on the magnet'), which pioneers research into the properties of the lodestone (magnetic iron ore) and introduces the terms 'electricity' and 'magnetic pole'.
The miniature painter Nicholas Hilliard works on his painting treatise The Art of Limning at this time.
InternationalHenry IV of France marries Marie de Medici from the powerful ruling family of Florence, Italy.
The Italian astronomer, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno is sentenced to death by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake for heresy.
Following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu seizes control of Japan at the Battle of Sekigahara.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- My Favourite Portrait by David Cobley
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.