St Thomas Aquinas
2 of 6 portraits of St Thomas Aquinas
St Thomas Aquinas
after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1603
4 1/4 in. x 3 3/8 in. (108 mm x 86 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Events of 1603back to top
Current affairsDeath of Queen Elizabeth I at Richmond. She names King James VI of Scotland as her successor in her final moments. The Stuart dynasty begins with his accession as King James I of England.
Sir Walter Ralegh is implicated in a plot to prevent King James I's succession. He is found guilty of High Treason and imprisoned.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Troilus and Cressida, Measure for Measure and Othello at about his time.
The poet and lexicographer John Florio publishes his English translation of the French writer Michel de Montaigne's Essais.
Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk begins construction of Audley End, Essex. Completed in 1616, it is the largest private residence in England.
InternationalTokugawa Ieyasu confirms his rule of Japan by receiving the title of shogun from the emperor. The Tokugawa shogunate will rule Japan until 1867.
In Ireland, Charles Blount, Lord Deputy of Ireland, defeats the Irish ending the Nine Years' War with Ireland. Blount signs the Treaty of Mellifont with Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, leader of the Irish resistance, obtaining Tyrone's acceptance of the English monarchy's authority.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.