St Thomas Aquinas
5 of 6 portraits of St Thomas Aquinas
St Thomas Aquinas
after Unknown artist
line engraving, mid 18th century
6 3/4 in. x 4 in. (173 mm x 101 mm) plate size; 7 5/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. (193 mm x 129 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Events of 1730back to top
Current affairsJohn and Charles Wesley form a Holy Club at Oxford which becomes the cradle of Methodism.
Glasite sect, which promoted a form of primitive Christianity, established in Scotland by John Glas.
Last native roe deer in England is reputedly killed in Northumberland.
Art and scienceFrench sculptor Louis-Francois Roubiliac settles in London from Paris.
The Daily Advertiser is established as the first newspaper funded by advertising.
Mathematician and inventor John Hadley invents the octant, a navigating device which precedes the sextant.
InternationalFrederick, Crown Prince of Prussia, tries to flee to Britain but is imprisoned by his father Frederick William I.
Pope Clement XII succeeds Benedict XIII as the 246th pope.
Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius observes the aurora borealis and suggests the existence of the earth's magnetic field.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.