Sir Ralph Blackwell
1 of 61 portraits by Robert Wilkinson
Sir Ralph Blackwell
published by Robert Wilkinson, after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1780-1815 (1668)
7 in. x 5 7/8 in. (177 mm x 150 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistsback to top
Events of 1668back to top
Current affairsAn illicit affair between George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham and beauty, Anna Maria, Countess of Shrewsbury, leads to a notorious duel during which Villiers mortally wounds Shrewsbury's husband, Francis Talbot.
William Penn, Quaker and founder of Pennsylvania, is imprisoned after producing pamphlets advocating Quakerism.
Art and scienceWriter, Margaret Cavendish, Duchess of Newcastle republishes her science fiction work, The Description of a New World, called the Blazing-World, as a separate edition, originally published as an appendix to her Observations upon Experimental Philosophy, (1666).
Poet John Dryden is appointed poet laureate.
InternationalDiplomat and writer, Sir William Temple, negotiates the Triple Alliance between England, Holland and Sweden to protect the Spanish Netherlands from French expansion during the War of Devolution. The union ultimately forces Louis XIV to sign the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle and retreat from the Habsburg-controlled Netherlands.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints