Collage of 101 figures
Collage of 101 figures
compiled by Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot), after Disdéri, after John Jabez Edwin Mayall, after Camille Silvy, and after Unknown photographers
albumen print collage, 1860s
13 3/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (339 mm x 262 mm) overall
Bequeathed by Francis Needham, 1971
Artistsback to top
- Disdéri (1819-1889), Photographer. Artist associated with 220 portraits.
- Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot) (died 1894), Wife of Hon. William Nassau Jocelyn; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Artist associated with 1 portrait, Sitter associated with 6 portraits. Identify
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 507 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 11280 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Unknown photographers, Photographers. Artist associated with 19 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 209 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits. Identify
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 79 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 111 portraits. Identify
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 158 portraits. Identify
- Catherine Frances (née Elliot), Lady Drummond (died 1914), Wife of Sir James Robert Drummond; daughter of Sir George Eliot. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sir James Robert Drummond (1812-1895), Admiral. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Margaret Alice Drummond (1841-1875), Daughter of 9th Viscount Strathallan. Sitter associated with 7 portraits. Identify
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 506 portraits. Identify
- Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot) (died 1894), Wife of Hon. William Nassau Jocelyn; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Sitter associated with 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir George Augustus Elliot (1813-1901), Admiral; writer and politician. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Mary Elliot (active 1860s), Relation of Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot). Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Eugénie, Empress of France ('Eugénie de Montijo') (1826-1920), Consort of Napoléon III of France. Sitter in 28 portraits. Identify
- Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882), Italian soldier; played central role in unification of Italy. Sitter associated with 22 portraits. Identify
- Robert Stayner Holford (1808-1892), Art and plant collector. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Charles Hugh Lindsay (1816-1889), Army officer and politician; son of 24th Earl of Crawford. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Maria Sophie, Queen of the Two Sicilies (1841-1925), Consort of Francis II, King of the Two Sicilies; daughter of Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte (1843-1911), Wife of Prince Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte; daughter of Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Napoléon III, Emperor of France (1808-1873), Reigned 1852-70. Sitter in 41 portraits. Identify
- Prince Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte (1822-1891), Son of Jérôme Bonaparte and Catharina of Württemberg; cousin of Napoleon III; husband of Clotilde of Savoy. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Georgina Frances (née Elliot), Countess of Northesk (1843-1933), Wife of 9th Earl of Northesk; daughter of Sir George Augustus Elliot. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Emily Mary ('Amelia') (née Lamb), Viscountess Palmerston (1787-1869), Political hostess; wife of 3rd Viscount Palmerston. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Adelaide Ristori (1822-1906), Actress. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 245 portraits. Identify
- Ian Charles Ogilvie-Grant, 8th Earl of Seafield (1851-1884), Son of 7th Earl of Seafield. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Christina Maria Hersey (née Baird), Viscountess Strathallan (died 1867), Wife of 9th Viscount Strathallan; daughter of Robert Baird. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Fanny Charlotte Tomline (née Gage) (1830-1883), Wife of William Tomline; daughter of 4th Viscount Gage. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- William Tomline (died 1883), Captain. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Horace Wigan (1815 or 1816-1885), Actor and playwright; brother of Alfred Sydney Wigan. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Related worksback to top
- NPG x74324: Eugénie, Empress of France (source portrait)
- NPG Ax128994: Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot) (source portrait)
- NPG Ax128908: Mary Elliot (source portrait)
- NPG x74578: Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte; Prince Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte (source portrait)
- NPG Ax24143: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (source portrait)
Events of 1860back to top
Current affairsAn early feminist movement, The Society for Promoting the Employment of Women is founded by Adelaide Anne Proctor, Emily Faithfull, Helen Blackburn, Bessie Parks, Emily Davies, Barbara Bodichon, and Jessie Boucherett.
The Florence Nightingale Training School for Nurses opens at St Thomas's Hospital, in London, funded from the testimonial fund collected for Nightingale following her war services, and helping to establish nursing as a profession.
Art and scienceWilliam Morris and new wife Jane Burden move into the Red House, near Bexleyheath, Kent. The house, designed by Philip Webb, represents Morris's principle in interior design, that no object should be in a house that is not beautiful.
Ford Madox Brown paints The Last of England, showing a boat of emigrants leaving England under desperate circumstances, inspired by the emigration of the Pre-Raphaelite Thomas Woolner to Australia in 1852.
InternationalItalian unification continues as the Treaty of Turin brings much of Northern Italy under nationalist leader Cavour's control, who cedes Savoy and Nice to France. Garibaldi siezes the opportunity to invade Marsala in Sicily with his army of 1,000 redshirts, proclaiming himself dictator in the name of Victor Emmanuel II.
Republican Abraham Lincoln becomes President of the US, with only 39% of the popular vote.