© National Portrait Gallery, London
by David Wedgbury
cibachrome print, 1965
11 in. x 11 in. (280 mm x 280 mm) image size
Sittersback to top
- Rodney Terence ('Rod') Argent (1945-), Musician; founding member of The Zombies and Argent. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Paul Ashley Warren Atkinson (1946-2004), Musician; member of The Zombies. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Colin Edward Michael Blunstone (1945-), Singer; member of The Zombies. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Hugh Birch Grundy (1945-), Musician; member of the band The Zombies. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Christopher ('Chris') Taylor White (1943-), Musician, bass guitarist and songwriter for 'The Zombies'. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Artistback to top
- David Wedgbury (1937-1998), Photographer. Artist or producer of 36 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.
The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.