1 portrait of John Fletcher
by Unknown artist
oil on oak panel, circa 1620
36 1/8 in. x 28 in. (918 mm x 710 mm)
Purchased with help from the Portrait Fund, the Art Fund, L.L. Brownrigg, Sir Harry Djanogly, Laurence Chase, the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Fletcher tearooms at Rye, E.A. Whitehead, the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, Mrs A. Campbell, the Pidem Fund, proceeds of the 150th anniversary portrait gala, and numerous supporters of a public appeal, 2008
This portraitback to top
This is the only known portrait of Fletcher from life. The verse written on the paper beside him pays a compliment to his wit and expresses conventional sentiments about the inability of painting, as opposed to poetry, to convey the mind of the sitter.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1620back to top
Current affairsThe beginning of a severe economic depression in England is widely blamed on the East India Company whose export of bullion on each voyage financed their trade. Additionally, despite efforts by Lionel Cranfield, Earl of Middlesex, to reduce the royal household's expenditure, James I's debt is historically high.
Art and scienceFrancis Bacon publishes his major philosophical work Novum Organum, which presents his account of the correct method of acquiring natural knowledge using inductive reasoning.
Inventor and mechanical engineer, Cornelis Drebbel builds an early type of submarine which he demonstrates on the Thames.
InternationalThe Catholic League's invasion of Bohemia and victory at the battle of the White Mountain, forces Frederick V, king of Bohemia and his family into exile in the Hague, after less than a year reigning.
The Pilgrim Fathers sail for America in the 'Mayflower', escaping religious persecution in England.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 1 December
- John Fletcher
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- 2019 Anniversaries