Kings of France
3 of 7 portraits of François II (Francis II), King of France
Kings of France
after Unknown artist
line engraving, possibly 18th century
5 in. x 3 1/8 in. (126 mm x 78 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Charles VIII ('the Affable'), King of France (1470-1498), King of France 1483-1498. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- François I (Francis I), King of France (1494-1547), King of France 1515-1547. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- François II (Francis II), King of France (1544-1560), King of France 1559-1560; Consort of Scots 1558-1560; first husband of Mary Queen of Scots. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Henry II, King of France (1519-1559), King of France 1547-1559. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Louis XI ('the Prudent'), King of France (1423-1483), King of France 1461-1483. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Louis XII, King of France (1462-1515), King of France 1498-1515. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Events of 1700back to top
Current affairsThe sudden death of Prince William, son of Princess Anne and George, Prince of Denmark, triggers a succession crisis. His birth had secured the succession of the crown to a Protestant, safeguarding the throne from any future claim by James II's Catholic son, James Francis.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve's comedy The Way of the World premieres at Lincoln's Inn Theatre, receiving a mixed reception. It would achieve greater literary acclaim in modern times.
Poet, John Dryden, dies and is buried in Geoffrey Chaucer's grave in Westminster Abbey.
InternationalDiplomat and poet, Matthew Prior, secretly negotiates with Louis XIV, king of France, a second partition treaty concerning the Spanish Empire. However, following the death of Spanish ruler, Carlos II, the agreement collapses since neither Spanish or Austrian governments accept the treaty's proposals.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.