after Unknown artist
woodcut, possibly 17th century
7 1/8 in. x 5 1/4 in. (180 mm x 132 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Theodorus Beza (de Bèze) (1519-1605), French reformer. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Heinrich Bullinger (1504-1575), Swiss reformer. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- John Calvin (1509-1564), French theologian. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Simon Grynaeus (1493-1541), Scholar; theologian of the Reformation. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Rudolf Gwalther (1519-1586), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Wolfgang Musculus (1497-1563), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Johannes Oecolampadius (1482-1531), German religious reformer. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- David Pareus (1548-1622), German Protestant theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Simon Sulcerus (1508-1585), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Daniel Tossanus (1541-1602), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Pietro Vermigli (1499-1562), Reformer, Theologian and known as 'Peter Martyr'. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Ulrich Zwingli (1484-1531), Leader of the Protestant Reformation in Switzerland. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
Events of 1600back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex is put on trial for failing to put an end to the rebellion in Ireland, attempting to negotiate a truce with the rebel leader Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and deserting his post.
Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, replaces Essex as Lord Deputy of Ireland.
The East India Company receives its Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I.
Birth of Prince Charles in Scotland (later King Charles I).
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Hamlet.
The scientist William Gilbert writes De magnete ('on the magnet'), which pioneers research into the properties of the lodestone (magnetic iron ore) and introduces the terms 'electricity' and 'magnetic pole'.
The miniature painter Nicholas Hilliard works on his painting treatise The Art of Limning at this time.
InternationalHenry IV of France marries Marie de Medici from the powerful ruling family of Florence, Italy.
The Italian astronomer, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno is sentenced to death by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake for heresy.
Following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu seizes control of Japan at the Battle of Sekigahara.