© National Portrait Gallery, London
after Unknown artist
woodcut, possibly 17th century
7 1/8 in. x 5 1/4 in. (180 mm x 132 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Theodorus Beza (de Bèze) (1519-1605), French reformer. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Heinrich Bullinger (1504-1575), Swiss reformer. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- John Calvin (1509-1564), French theologian. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Simon Grynaeus (1493-1541), Scholar; theologian of the Reformation. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Rudolf Gwalther (1519-1586), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Wolfgang Musculus (1497-1563), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Johannes Oecolampadius (1482-1531), German religious reformer. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- David Pareus (1548-1622), German Protestant theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Simon Sulcerus (1508-1585), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Daniel Tossanus (1541-1602), Theologian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Pietro Vermigli (1499-1562), Reformer, Theologian and known as 'Peter Martyr'. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Ulrich Zwingli (Huldrych Zwingli or Ulricus Zuinglius) (1484-1531), Leader of the Protestant Reformation in Switzerland. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
Events of 1600back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex is put on trial for failing to put an end to the rebellion in Ireland, attempting to negotiate a truce with the rebel leader Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and deserting his post.
Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, replaces Essex as Lord Deputy of Ireland.
The East India Company receives its Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I.
Birth of Prince Charles in Scotland (later King Charles I).
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Hamlet.
The scientist William Gilbert writes De magnete ('on the magnet'), which pioneers research into the properties of the lodestone (magnetic iron ore) and introduces the terms 'electricity' and 'magnetic pole'.
The miniature painter Nicholas Hilliard works on his painting treatise The Art of Limning at this time.
InternationalHenry IV of France marries Marie de Medici from the powerful ruling family of Florence, Italy.
The Italian astronomer, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno is sentenced to death by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake for heresy.
Following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu seizes control of Japan at the Battle of Sekigahara.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.