by Francis Goodman
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 24 June 1948
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1390 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Hertfordshire (sitter's home, Hoglands, Perry Green, Hertfordshire)
Events of 1948back to top
Current affairsPrince Charles is born in Buckingham Palace; he is the first son of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh
The Secretary of State for Health, Aneurin Bevan, introduces the National Health Service. Health services in Britain were now funded from central taxation and free at the point of use for every resident of the country.
Art and scienceThe First Morris Minor car designed by Alec Issigonis and his team (also responsible for the Mini) takes to the road, becoming a popular and classic English design.
F.R. Leavis publishes his influential study of the English novel, The Great Tradition. The book set out Leavis's ideas on the proper relationship between literary form and moral concern.
InternationalThe policy of Apartheid is adopted in South Africa. Apartheid was a set of laws allowing racial segregation and discrimination against the black majority by the white ruling class.
As part of the dispute between Western and Soviet controlled Berlin, the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin, cutting off supplies. Anxious to avoid a conflict, America, Britain and France responded by flying in food and other provisions.
- Portraits on paper
- Artists and sitters
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints