7 of 45 portraits of Yehudi Menuhin, Baron Menuhin
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, circa 1930
7 3/4 in. x 6 in. (196 mm x 153 mm) image size
Given by Jonathan Harvey, 1984
Sitterback to top
- Yehudi Menuhin, Baron Menuhin (1916-1999), Violinist, conductor and philanthropist. Sitter in 45 portraits.
Events of 1930back to top
Current affairsAmy Johnson is the first woman to fly solo to Australia. She flew the 11,000 miles from Croydon to Darwin in a De Havilland Gipsy Moth named Jason and won the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE for her achievement. She went on to break a number of other flying records, and died while serving in the Air Transport Auxiliary in 1941.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's play, Private Lives is first performed. The original run starred Gertrude Lawrence and Laurence Olivier as well as Coward himself. Private Lives became Coward's most enduringly successful play.
InternationalGandhi leads the Salt March. The march to the coast was a direct protest against the British monopoly on the sale of salt and inspired hordes of Indians to follow him and adopt his methods of Satyagraha (non-violent resistance to the British rule of India).
Stalin orders the 'liquidation of the kulaks (wealthy farmers) as a class' in a violent attempt to centralise control of agriculture and collectivise farming.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Michael Tippet
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Edward Elgar
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Eric Fenby
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Frederic Delius
- Only Connect - Michael Tippet <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - installation video
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women