The wedding of David Hicks and Lady Pamela Mountbatten
5 of 5 portraits of Queen Louise of Sweden (née Lady Louise Alexandra Marie Irene Mountbatten)
The wedding of David Hicks and Lady Pamela Mountbatten
by Madame Yevonde
bromide print, 13 January 1960
6 3/4 in. x 9 1/8 in. (170 mm x 231 mm) image size
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 332 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy (1936-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II; wife of Sir Angus Ogilvy. Sitter in 75 portraits. Identify
- Princess Anne (1950-), Equestrian; Olympian; Princess Royal and daughter of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 129 portraits. Identify
- John Ulick Knatchbull, 7th Baron Brabourne (1924-2005), Film and television producer. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Prince Charles (1948-), Prince of Wales. Sitter in 168 portraits. Identify
- Princess Clarissa of Hesse (1944-), Daughter of Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark and niece of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021), Consort of Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 219 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1900-2002), Queen of George VI. Sitter associated with 580 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- Amanda Patricia Victoria (née Knatchbull), Lady Ellingworth (1957-), Social worker and director of NGOs; Wife of Charles Vincent Ellingworth; daughter of 7th Baron Brabourne. Sitter associated with 4 portraits. Identify
- Princess Friederike of Hanover (1954-), Daughter of Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark and niece of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter associated with 2 portraits. Identify
- Lady Pamela Carmen Louise Hicks (née Mountbatten) (1929-), Wife of David Nightingale Hicks; daughter of 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- David Nightingale Hicks (1929-1998), Interior decorator, designer and author. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Iris Elsie Hicks (1886-1966), Actress and mother of David Nightingale Hicks. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Queen Louise of Sweden (née Lady Louise Alexandra Marie Irene Mountbatten) (1889-1965), Second wife of King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden; daughter of 1st Marquess of Milford Haven. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Princess Margaret (1930-2002), Daughter of George VI; Countess of Snowdon. Sitter associated with 293 portraits. Identify
- Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent (1906-1968), Wife of Prince George, Duke of Kent; daughter of Prince and Princess Nicholas of Greece and of Denmark. Sitter in 114 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- Victoria Marten (active 1960), Goddaughter of Lady Pamela Mountbatten. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Louis Mountbatten, Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900-1979), Admiral of the Fleet. Sitter in 70 portraits. Identify
- Edwina Cynthia Annette (née Ashley), Countess Mountbatten of Burma (1901-1960), Director of emergency relief services and Vicereine of India; wife of 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma; daughter of 1st Baron Mount Temple. Sitter in 37 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Joanna Edwina Doreen Zuckerman (née Knatchbull) (1955-), Former wife of Baron Hubert du Breuil, and later wife of Azriel Zuckerman; daughter of 7th Baron Brabourne. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Events of 1960back to top
Current affairsPrince Andrew is born, the third child of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.
The Contraceptive Pill is introduced in England, dramatically changing the nation's approach to sex and relationships, and significantly contributing to the 1960s culture of liberation.
Art and sciencePenguin books defend D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover against charges of obscenity by demonstrating that the novel was of literary merit. The 'not guilty' verdict was seen as a victory for free speech and marked the beginning if a new era of liberalism.
The satirical revue Beyond the Fringe launches the careers of Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonathan Miller.
InternationalHarold Macmillan delivers his 'wind of change' speech to the South African Parliament in Cape Town, announcing Britain's decision to grant independence to many of her colonies. The speech recognised the emergence of African nationalism, and criticised the policy of Apartheid in South Africa.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- The Face of Monarchy
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Clear Vision: Brockhurst, Frampton and Kelly
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Anthony Buckley
- Louis Mountbatten
- Goddesses and Others
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- Artists and sitters
- My Favourite Portrait by Tristram Hunt
- The commissioning process
- Mario Testino: New Acquisitions
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- John Gay - Portraits in print
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.