King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
by Cornelis Metsys (Massys)
line engraving, 1548
6 7/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. (175 mm x 131 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (1508 or 1510-after 1580), Artist. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Events of 1548back to top
Current affairsThe infant Mary Queen of Scots is betrothed to the Dauphin Francis (later Francis II of France) and flees to France.
Death of Catherine Parr, sixth wife of King Henry VIII.
Art and scienceThe founder of the Jesuit movement Ignatius Loyola publishes Spiritual Exercises, an influential manual for enhancing Catholic faith.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Charles V passes the Augsburg Interim, which attempts to reconcile German Protestant and Catholic beliefs and practices.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints