King Henry VIII
12 of 98 portraits of King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
by Cornelis Metsys (Massys)
line engraving, 1548
6 7/8 in. x 5 1/8 in. (175 mm x 131 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (1508 or 1510-after 1580), Artist. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Events of 1548back to top
Current affairsThe infant Mary Queen of Scots is betrothed to the Dauphin Francis (later Francis II of France) and flees to France.
Death of Catherine Parr, sixth wife of King Henry VIII.
Art and scienceThe founder of the Jesuit movement Ignatius Loyola publishes Spiritual Exercises, an influential manual for enhancing Catholic faith.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Charles V passes the Augsburg Interim, which attempts to reconcile German Protestant and Catholic beliefs and practices.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints