King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
by Cornelis Metsys (Massys)
line engraving, 1548
6 3/4 in. x 5 in. (170 mm x 127 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (1508 or 1510-after 1580), Artist. Artist or producer associated with 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This print was first produced in 1544 and again the year after Henry's death. The full frontal pose probably derives in part from Hans Holbein's portrait of Henry, first painted 1536 -7.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Henry VIII Remembered (20 December 2008 - 12 July 2009)
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1548back to top
Current affairsThe infant Mary Queen of Scots is betrothed to the Dauphin Francis (later Francis II of France) and flees to France.
Death of Catherine Parr, sixth wife of King Henry VIII.
Art and scienceThe founder of the Jesuit movement Ignatius Loyola publishes Spiritual Exercises, an influential manual for enhancing Catholic faith.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Charles V passes the Augsburg Interim, which attempts to reconcile German Protestant and Catholic beliefs and practices.
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.