King Henry VIII
13 of 98 portraits of King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
by Cornelis Metsys (Massys)
line engraving, 1548
6 3/4 in. x 5 in. (170 mm x 127 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (1508 or 1510-after 1580), Artist. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This print was first produced in 1544 and again the year after Henry's death. The full frontal pose probably derives in part from Hans Holbein's portrait of Henry, first painted 1536 -7.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Henry VIII Remembered (20 December 2008 - 12 July 2009)
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1548back to top
Current affairsThe infant Mary Queen of Scots is betrothed to the Dauphin Francis (later Francis II of France) and flees to France.
Death of Catherine Parr, sixth wife of King Henry VIII.
Art and scienceThe founder of the Jesuit movement Ignatius Loyola publishes Spiritual Exercises, an influential manual for enhancing Catholic faith.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Charles V passes the Augsburg Interim, which attempts to reconcile German Protestant and Catholic beliefs and practices.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to recieve information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Henry VIII Remembered
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Henry VIII and versions of the non-Holbein portraits
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Loans to the National Gallery
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints