6 of 26 portraits of Anne Boleyn
by Renold or Reginold Elstrack (Elstracke)
line engraving, 1618
7 1/8 in. x 4 5/8 in. (182 mm x 117 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Renold or Reginold Elstrack (Elstracke) (1570-in or after 1625), Engraver. Artist associated with 152 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1618back to top
Current affairsFrancis Bacon, Viscount St Alban, is appointed Lord High Chancellor. He would be impeached for bribery three years later ending his political career.
Lord High Treasurer Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, and his wife, Katherine, are charged with embezzlement and found guilty the following year.
Art and scienceJurist, politician and scholar, John Selden, publishes his History of Tythes, in which he concedes the legal right of the Church of England to collect tithes, but denies divine authority.
The Royal College of Physicians compiles the London Pharmacopoeia, a standard list of medicines and their ingredients.
InternationalSir Walter Ralegh's voyage to Guiana tragically fails. Unable to find treasure, his attack against the Spanish settlement San Thomé, during which his son Walter dies, dangerously jeopardises Anglo-Spanish relations. Ralegh returns home and is executed for treason.
Start of the Thirty Years War, precipitated by the Bohemian Revolt.
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints