King Edward VII
King Edward VII
by Camille Silvy
hand-coloured albumen carte-de-visite, 20 June 1861
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (87 mm x 57 mm) image size
Given by Colin John Ford
Sitterback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 13465 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Porchester Terrace, Bayswater, London)
Events of 1861back to top
Current affairsDeath of Prince Albert, from typhoid fever. Queen Victoria goes into a long period of mourning, withdrawing from public duties, and becomes known by the satirical title 'Widow of Windsor'.
Art and scienceMrs Beeton's Book of Household Management is published by her husband Sidney, who successfully maintained the Beeton brand after his wife's early death seven years later. The highly popular book, containing recipes and advice for housekeeping, appealed to the Victorian belief that a woman's role was managing the home.
Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Company is founded, marking the start of the arts and crafts movement.
InternationalThe American civil war begins after the Confederate army attacks Union forces at Fort Sumter in April. The Confederates, comprised of eleven southern states who seceded from the Union over the right to independence on issues such as abolition, are presided over by Jefferson Davis, formerly senator of Mississippi. Although the Union had early successes, the Confederates' victory at Bull Run sets the Union up for a long, four-year war.
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail
- Punch's artists
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Camille Silvy
- Tell us More about our Silvy sitters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints