Queen Elizabeth I
Queen Elizabeth I
after Unknown artist
photograph of painting, before 1914 (circa 1575)
17 7/8 in. x 12 3/4 in. (453 mm x 323 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 134 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1900back to top
Current affairsThe Conservatives return to power, after the Prime Minister Lord Salisbury calls a general election, known as the 'Khaki election', on the back of huge jingoistic support for the Boer War.
The Labour Representation Committee (LRC) is founded from a coalition of socialist groups; they win two seats in the 1900 election and Ramsay Macdonald is appointed secretary. The Labour politician Keir Hardie is also returned to Parliament for Merthyr Tydfilin Wales.
Art and scienceGerman physicist Max Planck proposes the concept of the quantum theory. Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published. In the text, Freud outlines his theory of dream analysis, crucial to the study of the unconscious, and introduces key concepts in psychoanalysis, such as the Ego.
The Paris International Exhibition, attended by more than 50 million people and including over 76,000 exhibitors, marks the heyday of Art Nouveau.
InternationalIn China the Boxer rebellion takes place. The Boxers were anti-imperialist and against foreign influence in trade, religion, politics and technology in the final years of the Manchu rule. The Boxers invade Beijing, killing 230 foreigners and Chinese Christians. The rebellion is suppressed by a multinational coalition of 20,000 troops, with China being forced to pay large war reparations, contributing to growing nationalist resentment against the Qing dynasty.
Exhibitions and displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Tudor Miniatures
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- WebQuest: Painting Elizabeth I
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- WebQuest: Famous People Guy Fawkes
- On panel making and the post-1600 Holbein panels
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- landing banner
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
25 September, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
27 September, 12:30
- Lunchtime Lecture: Shakespeare and the Resistance
1 November, 13:15
- Lunchtime Lecture: Society of Portrait Sculptors Annual Lecture: Laurence Edwards
15 November, 13:15