George Frederic Watts
1 portrait matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Nudes and naked figures'
- 'Image on website'
George Frederic Watts
by George Andrews
bromide print, February 1896
8 3/8 in. x 6 3/8 in. (213 mm x 161 mm) image size
Given by Nora E. Barwood, 1988
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 92 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Surrey (sitter's studio, Limnerslease, Compton, Surrey)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1896back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest-reigning monarch in Britain.
The first speeding conviction is given to Walter Arnold of Kent, for exceeding the limit of 2 mph.
William Morris, the author, designer and prominent socialist, dies at Kelmscott House in Hammersmith, aged 62.
Art and scienceDan Leno, creator of the Pantomine Dame, is signed to Drury Lane theatre company, where he stays for sixteen years, playing some of the best known Pantomine characters.
Henry Ford builds his first gasoline-powered car. Running on four bicycle wheels it was dubbed the 'Quadricycle'; its success contributed to the founding of the Ford Motor Company in 1903.
InternationalThe first modern Olympic Games are held in Athens, organised by the International Olympic Committee, formed in Paris in 1894. Events included athletics, cycling, weightlifting and wrestling, with around fourteen nations competing.
Rhodes resigns as Cape Colony Prime Minister after refusing to repudiate Jameson for his part in the raid on the Transvaal.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to recieve information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- The Watts Collection
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Rebel women
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints