after Unknown artist
stipple and line engraving, late 18th to early 19th century
5 1/8 in. x 4 in. (130 mm x 103 mm) paper size; 5 1/8 in. x 4 in. (130 mm x 103 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Events of 1701back to top
Current affairsExiled James II dies in France. Various parts of his body are interred in a number of churches around the country; his corpse is buried in the English church in the Faubourg St. Jacques.
The Act of Settlement is passed, securing the throne to the Protestant Hanoverians.
Art and scienceSupported by the Bishop of London, Henry Compton, The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, founded by Thomas Bray, obtains a royal charter.
Publication of The Christian Hero, the first major work by essayist Richard Steele.
InternationalWar of the Spanish Succession ensues. William III restores the grand alliance against France determined to prevent Louis XIV from installing his grandson, Philip of Anjou, upon the Spanish throne. The grand alliance, resolute upon a Habsburg succession in Spain, wished to prevent the country's unification with France.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints