The Memorial of Lord Darnley
2 of 4 portraits of Matthew Stewart, 13th or 4th Earl of Lennox
The Memorial of Lord Darnley
by George Vertue, after Livinus de Vogelaare
line engraving, 1743 (1567-1568)
17 1/8 in. x 21 3/4 in. (435 mm x 552 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley (1545-1567), Second Consort of Mary, Queen of Scots. Sitter associated with 25 portraits. Identify
- King James I of England and VI of Scotland (1566-1625), Reigned Scotland 1567-1625 and England 1603-25. Sitter associated with 199 portraits. Identify
- Matthew Stewart, 13th or 4th Earl of Lennox (1516-1571), Magnate and Regent of Scotland. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox (1515-1578), Mother of Lord Darnley. Sitter associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Charles Stewart, 14th or 5th Earl of Lennox (circa 1556-1576). Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Art in art
- Books and libraries
- Crests, seals and coats of arms
- Events and occasions
- Family portraits
- Flags and banners
- Group portraits
- Hats and head attire
- Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras
- Line engraving
- Pets and animals - Dogs
- Religion, faith and spirituality
- Swords, daggers and shields
- Words and inscriptions
Events of 1743back to top
Current affairsHenry Pelham becomes Prime Minister, following the death of Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington.
Last wolf in the British Isles is reputedly killed in Scotland.
Second Gin Act further attempts to deal with the widespread abuse of gin.
Art and sciencePortrait-painter Michael Dahl dies.
Physician and cartographer Christopher Packe produces the first geological map of south-east England.
Final edition of Alexander Pope's literary satire The Dunciad is published.
InternationalWar of the Austrian Succession: Battle of Dettingen is fought in Bavaria. King George II leads the troops to victory over the French; the last time a British monarch participates in a battle. George Frideric Handel writes the oratorio Dettingen Te Deum in celebration. Treaty of Worms signed between Great Britain, Austria and Sardinia. France and Spain form the Alliance of Fontainebleau with the aim of recapturing Gibraltar from Britain.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.