by Unknown artist
10 3/8 in. x 6 1/2 in. (263 mm x 164 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- John Day (Daye) (1521 or 1522-1584), Printer and bookseller. Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The woodcut portrait of the prolific London printer John Day and was widely used as his printers mark in many of the books he published and printed from 1562. The oval format for printed author portraits was common at this date and derives from Italian models. The page includes an advertisement for his shop 'at the west doore of St. Paules' in London.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1576back to top
Current affairsParliament presents Queen Elizabeth I with a petition complaining of ecclesiastical abuses.
The member of Parliament Peter Wentworth is imprisoned for attacking royal interference with Parliamentary freedom of speech.
The explorer and privateer Martin Frobisher sets out to find a Northwest passage to the Far East. He becomes the first European to visit Baffin Island, Canada.
Art and scienceThe actor and theatre manager James Burbage builds the Theatre, the first permanent playhouse in England, at Shoreditch, London.
The composer Thomas Whithorne writes the earliest known autobiography in English.
InternationalPacification of Ghent - an alliance between the Protestant northern and Catholic southern provinces of the Netherlands to collectively fight for the expulsion of Spanish troops from their territories.
The Spanish army serving in the Low Countries mutinies and sacks the city of Antwerp.
Death of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximillian II and succession of his son Rudolf II.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30