The Rossetti family
7 of 29 portraits of Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Extended Catalogue Entry
The Rossetti family
by Lewis Carroll
albumen print, 7 October 1863
5 7/8 in. x 7 in. (150 mm x 177 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830-1894), Poet. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882), Painter and poet. Sitter in 29 portraits, Artist associated with 22 portraits.
- Frances Mary Lavinia Rossetti (née Polidori) (1800-1886), Mother of Dante Gabriel, William Michael and Christina Rossetti. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Maria Francesca Rossetti (1827-1876), Writer; sister of Dante Gabriel, William and Christina Rossetti. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- William Michael Rossetti (1829-1919), Critic and writer. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-1898), Photographer and author of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Artist associated with 62 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (garden, Tudor House, 16 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London)
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line.
The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age.
Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.