King Charles II
1 portrait of King Charles II
King Charles II
after Unknown artist
line engraving, early 17th century
3 7/8 in. x 2 3/4 in. (97 mm x 70 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits.
Events of 1601back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex marches on the City but the rebellion fails. He is proclaimed a traitor and executed.
A Spanish fleet lands in Ireland to assist the Catholic rebellion. Lord Mountjoy leads the English army to victory over the Irish and Spanish force at the Battle of Kinsale.
Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury begins secret negotiations with James VI of Scotland to secure a peaceful handover of power after the Queen's death.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Twelfth Night.
The poet and clergyman John Donne begins The Progress of the Soul, an unfinished satire on the soul of the apple eaten by Eve.
The Speaker of the House of Commons Sir Edward Phelips builds Montacute House, Somerset.
Sir James Lancaster leads the first trading venture of the East India Company to acquire spices from Sumatra.
InternationalSpanish Hapsburg forces lay siege of the United Provinces port of Ostend. The town surrenders in 1604 after one of the longest sieges in history and bloodiest battles of the Eighty Years' War, during which the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands fought for independence from Spain.
Tokugawa Ieyasu, ruler of Japan, makes his capital at Yedo (present-day Tokyo).
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Charles II
- WebQuest: Famous People Guy Fawkes
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
17 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer