Progeny of Charles I
1 of 169 portraits by Edward Cooper
Progeny of Charles I
published by Edward Cooper, after Sir Anthony van Dyck
12 1/4 in. x 16 1/4 in. (312 mm x 412 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Princess Anne (1637-1640), Third daughter of Charles I. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits. Identify
- Princess Elizabeth (1635-1650), Daughter of Charles I. Sitter associated with 15 portraits. Identify
- King James II (1633-1701), Reigned 1685-88. Sitter associated with 134 portraits. Identify
- Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (1631-1660), Daughter of Charles I; wife of William II of Orange-Nassau. Sitter associated with 49 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1637back to top
Current affairsPolitician, John Hampden, fights a high profile case refusing to pay ship money imposed by Charles I, whose case is argued by Judge, Sir John Bankes. Hampden narrowly looses the case.
Charles I, eager to extend Anglicism to Scotland through the imposition of a new Prayer Book, meets with resistance.
Art and scienceSovereign of the Seas is launched, the largest, most lavishly decorated naval warship. Built by shipbuilder Peter Pett, construction is supervised by his father Phineas Pett.
John Milton's greatest memorial elegy, Lycidas, is dedicated to fellow poet Edward King.
Dramatist, Thomas Killigrew, writes his most popular play, The Parson's Wedding.
InternationalCharles I issues a proclamation that those emigrating to America must obtain a licence from the Commissioners for Plantations and a certificate proving allegiance to the king and conformity to the Church of England.
First recorded economic bubble. Contract prices for tulips in the Netherlands collapses having become very high.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Charles II and the Oak Tree
- Charles II
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Photographer in Focus: John Stezaker
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints