George Frederic Watts
1 portrait of George Frederic Watts
George Frederic Watts
after John Caswall Smith
relief halftone, before 1899
8 in. x 11 1/4 in. (203 mm x 286 mm) overall
Given by Sir Gyles Isham, 12th Bt, 1969
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 91 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Caswall Smith (1867-1902), Photographer; brother of Lizzie Caswall Smith. Artist associated with 7 portraits.
Events of 1899back to top
Current affairsGeorge Nathaniel Curzon, Lord Curzon, is appointed Viceroy of India, pursuing a mixed policy of forceful control and conciliation. Curzon's inquiries into Indian administration result in legislation in areas including education, irrigation, and policing. The Board of Education is created to co-ordinate the work of higher grade elementary schools, county technical schools and endowed grammar schools, also setting up a register of teachers.
Art and scienceThe Italian Guglielmo Marconi transmits the first wireless telegraph, between France and England across the English Channel, a distance of 32 miles. Marconi's production of waves over long distances lays the foundations for the development of the radio. Later this year, Marconi demonstrates his invention in America, at the Cup yacht race, and for the American navy.
InternationalOutbreak of the second Boer war, fought between the British Empire and the two independent Boer Republics of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal. Despite a disastrous start, Britain quickly won the war, although guerilla warfare continued until 1902, leading to the introduction of concentration camps by British commander Lord Kitchener, a measure which contributes to the British public's growing disillusionment with the campaign.
- The Watts Collection
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Rebel women
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'