The Howard family
The Howard family
published by John Thane, after George Vertue, after Sir Anthony van Dyck
line engraving, early 19th century
7 3/8 in. x 9 in. (188 mm x 230 mm) plate size; 8 3/4 in. x 11 1/4 in. (222 mm x 286 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Aletheia (née Talbot), Countess of Arundel and Surrey (circa 1590-1654), Heiress and patron of art; wife of Thomas Howard. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Thomas Howard, 14th Earl of Arundel, 4th Earl of Surrey and 1st Earl of Norfolk (1585-1646), Patron of art and collector. Sitter associated with 68 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Thane (1748-1818), Printseller. Artist or producer associated with 90 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Painter. Artist or producer associated with 1023 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- George Vertue (1683-1756), Engraver and antiquary. Artist or producer associated with 864 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Art in art
- Crests, seals and coats of arms
- Family portraits
- Hats and head attire
- Jewellery - Brooches, buckles and pins
- Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras
- Jewellery - Livery chains and badges
- Jewellery - Pearls
- Jewellery - Pendants and necklaces
- Line engraving
- Pets and animals
- Pets and animals - Dogs
Events of 1800back to top
Current affairsWidespread food riots after poor harvests of 1798-9. Theorist, Thomas Malthus, controversially argues that poverty and food shortages are an inevitable consequence of population growth, challenging assumptions that populousness was a sign of national prosperity and power. His thesis contributed forcefully to the debate over the existing Poor Law.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth publishes his Preface to the Lyrical Ballads; a retrospective explanation of his experimental poems written with Samuel Taylor Coleridge. It becomes one of the best-known manifestos of Romantic literature.
InternationalLord Castlereagh, Chief Secretary for Ireland, is the main architect of the Act of Union under which Ireland is merged with Great Britain and the Irish parliament is abolished.
British troops support successful uprising by Maltese against the French.
Napoleon is victorious against Austrians at Marengo and reconquers Italy.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.