1 portrait of Joseph Joachim
by Window & Grove
albumen carte-de-visite, 1874 or before
3 1/2 in. x 2 3/8 in. (90 mm x 60 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Window & Grove (active 1872-1933), Photographers. Artist associated with 168 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 63a Baker Street, London)
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1874back to top
Current affairsDisraeli becomes Prime Minister for the second time, winning the general election and giving the Conservative party its first absolute majority since the 1840s.
Professional opportunities for women develop, with the opening of the London School of Economics to women, the foundation of the London School of Medicine for Women and the Women's Protective and Provident League.
Art and scienceThe Anonymous Society of Painters, Sculptors, Printmakers, etc., including Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, and Camille Pissarro organise an exhibition in Paris. Art critic Louis Leroy gives the group its name, criticising Monet's Impression, Sunrise for being merely an unfinished 'impression'. Impressionism becomes recognisable for techniques such as short, broken brushstrokes barely conveying forms, pure unblended colours, and an emphasis on the effects of light.
InternationalBritain annexes the Gold Coast, the region on the Gulf of Guinea in West Africa, now the independent nation of Ghana, following the second Ashanti war. The Treaty of Fomena secured massive financial reparations for the British, and strengthened their hold on the prosperous resources and trade routes in the regions. However, weakening the Ashanti tribe greatly destabilised the area.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Only Connect - Joseph Joachim <> George Shaw
- Only Connect - Joseph Joachim <> Jelly D'Aranyi
- Only Connect - Joseph Joachim <> Felix Mendelssohn
- Only Connect - Joseph Joachim <> Frederic Leighton
- Only Connect - Joseph Joachim <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.