Sir Richard Strachey
32 of 32 portraits of Sir Richard Strachey
Sir Richard Strachey
by Unknown photographer
albumen print, oval, circa 1901
2 3/8 in. x 3 in. (60 mm x 76 mm) image size
Given by Sir Lawrence Gowing, 1983
Sitterback to top
- Sir Richard Strachey (1817-1908), Lieutenant-General, scientist and engineer. Sitter in 32 portraits.
Events of 1901back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria dies on 23 January. She is succeeded to the throne by her son, Prince Edward, aged 60, who reigned until his death in 1910. The census results of this year show the huge changes that took place in Britain during her reign, revealing that the population of Britain had doubled in the past 50 years, to 38 million.
Art and scienceThe start of Pablo Picasso's Blue Period, in which he produces a series of paintings dominated by the colour blue and melancholic mood. Significantly, the period marks the transition in Picasso's style from classicism to abstract art.
Beatrix Potter privately publishes The Tale of Peter Rabbit after it is rejected by six publishers.
InternationalThe six colonies of Australia become a federation, forming the Commonwealth of Australia. Australia remains a Commonwealth Realm. This year Australia also passes the Immigration Restriction Act, which limits immigration to Australia and forms the basis of the White Australia policy, a collection of historical legislation and policies designed to restrict non-white immigration to Australia between 1830-1973, although reforms against the policy were introduced in the 1940s.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Photography: A Living Art - Then and Now
Until 29 September
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Live Music: Luca Luciano: Contemporary Clarinet Recital
27 September, 19:00