Mrs Charles Viner
2 of 2 portraits of Mrs Charles Viner
Mrs Charles Viner
by Unknown photographer
woodburytype on card mount, 1870s
3 1/2 in. x 2 1/8 in. (89 mm x 55 mm) image size
Given by E.F. Griffighs, 1943
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 7 October
- For Valour: Recipients of the Victoria Cross, 1914 - 18
Until 24 June
- Votes for Women: Pioneers
Until 2 December
- Picturing Friendship
From 30 June
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test