Royal family group
Royal family group
by François Deron, published by Samuel E. Poulton
albumen carte-de-visite, 9 September 1862
3 3/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. (86 mm x 60 mm) image size
Given by Algernon Graves, 1916
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 478 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), Reigned 1863-1906; father of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Frederick VIII, King of Denmark (1843-1912), Reigned 1906-12; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Louise, Queen of Denmark (1817-1898), Wife of Christian IX, King of Denmark; mother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 29 portraits. Identify
- Maria Feodorovna, Empress of Russia (Princess Dagmar) (1847-1928), Wife of Alexander III, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Christian IX, King of Denmark; sister of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 38 portraits. Identify
- Prince Philippe of Belgium, Count of Flanders (1837-1905), Son of Leopold I, King of Belgium. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
Events of 1862back to top
Current affairsThe Lancashire cotton famine, a depression in the north-west textile industry brought about by the American civil war, reaches its climax. With large numbers of mills closing after Confederate blockades halted cotton supplies, many Lancashire families were in receipt of relief.
Art and scienceLouis Pasteur and Claude Bernard carry out the first pasteurisation tests, the process of heating liquids at 55 degree Celsius or higher for short periods of time, destroying viruses and harmful organisms such as bacteria and yeast. .
Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables is published, covering the Napoleonic wars. It traces the ex-convict Jean Valjean's character against wider questions of social and political justice, duty and love.
InternationalOtto Eduard Leopold Bismarck becomes Minister-President of Prussia, appointed by Wilhelm I after the liberal Diet refused to authorise funding for a proposed reorganisation of the army. Bismarck, intent on maintaining royal supremacy, engineers the Unification of Germany during his time in office.
John Hanning Speke claims to have found the source of the Nile, proving that the Victoria Nile issued from the north end of lake Victoria, over Ripon Falls.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.