Mary Sargant-Florence and family
3 of 4 portraits of Lella Secor Florence (née Lella Faye Secor)
© National Portrait Gallery, London
Mary Sargant-Florence and family
by Unknown photographer
vintage snapshot print, late 1920s
2 1/8 in. x 3 1/8 in. (54 mm x 80 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Unknown photographer, Photographer. Artist or producer associated with 6566 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Anthony Sargant Florence (1920-2008), Son of Philip Sargant Florence and Lella Secor Florence. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Noel Sargant Florence (1918-), Son of Philip Sargant Florence and Lella Secor Florence. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Philip Sargant Florence (1890-1982), Economist. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Mary Sargant-Florence (1857-1954), Artist. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Lella Secor Florence (née Lella Faye Secor) (1887-1966), Journalist, author and birth control pioneer; Wife of Philip Sargant Florence. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Alix Strachey (née Sargant-Florence) (1892-1973), Psychologist and translator; wife of James Strachey. Sitter in 32 portraits, Artist or producer associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- James Beaumont Strachey (1887-1967), Psychoanalyst and translator. Sitter in 44 portraits, Artist or producer associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Buckinghamshire (Lords Wood, Marlow, Buckinghamshire)
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.