Philip Thomas Tower
5 of 5 portraits of Philip Thomas Tower
Philip Thomas Tower
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate film negative, 21 January 1971
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 78 Wigmore Street, London)
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints