The bridesmaids of Alexandra of Denmark
2 of 4 portraits of Lady Agneta Harriet Montagu (née Yorke)
The bridesmaids of Alexandra of Denmark
by Unknown photographer
albumen carte-de-visite, March 1863
2 1/4 in. x 3 1/8 in. (58 mm x 80 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Unknown photographer, Photographer. Artist or producer associated with 6566 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Feodorowna Cecilia (née Wellesley), Viscountess Bertie of Thame (1838-1920), Wife of 1st Viscount Bertie of Thame; daughter of 1st Earl Cowley. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Eleanor Cecilia (née Hare), Lady Heneage (1845-1924), Wife of 1st Baron Heneage; daughter of 2nd Earl of Listowel. Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- Lady Victoria Margaret Louisa Howard (1844-1906), Daughter of 17th Earl of Suffolk. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Diana de Vere (née Beauclerk), Lady Huddleston (1841-1905), Wife of Sir John Walter Huddleston; daughter of 9th Duke of St Albans. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- Victoria Alexandrina (née Montagu Douglas Scott), Marchioness of Lothian (later Lady Talbot) (1844-1938), Former wife of 9th Marquess of Lothian, and later wife of Bertram Chetwynd Talbot; daughter of 5th Duke of Buccleuch. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Lady Agneta Harriet Montagu (née Yorke) (1838-1919), Wife of Victor Alexander Montagu; daughter of 4th Earl of Hardwicke. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- Elma (née Bruce), Lady Thurlow (1842-1923), Wife of 5th Baron Thurlow; daughter of 8th Earl Elgin. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Georgiana Susan (née Hamilton), Countess of Winterton (1841-1913), Wife of 5th Earl of Winterton; daughter of 1st Duke of Abercorn. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Lambert, Miles, Fashion in Photographs 1860-1880, 1991, p. 53
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line.
The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age.
Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.
InternationalAt an international conference, the Geneva Public Welfare Society calls on the sixteen nations present to form voluntary units to help the wartime wounded. The society, comprised of five Swiss citizens and led by Henri Dunant, who had been deeply affected by the casualties he had witnessed at the Battle of Solferino, became the National Red Cross Societies, adopting the emblem of a red cross on white background.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.